Wednesday, July 23, 2014



Welcome to my Alfred Hitchcock Blog!

I have been interested in/fascinated by/obsessed with (?) Alfred Hitchcock since before I ever saw a Hitchcock film. Growing up as I did in the 1960s and 70s, Psycho was the stuff of legend for kids like me who had heard stories of how people (adult people) were afraid to take showers after seeing it. Like most kids, I liked to be scared, and Psycho seemed to be the ultimate scare available in the movies, but it was the age of three television networks, no VCRs (not even Beta), and movies like Psycho didn't play on TV all the time. We probably wouldn't have been allowed to see it if it had been. I don't know if people were really afraid to take showers after seeing the movie, although I have read that Janet Leigh, who plays Marion Crane, the woman (spoilers!) famously butchered in the shower, didn't take showers for a long time after making and seeing the movie. Whether members of the general public had a similar reaction it's hard to say, but there is no doubt the movie had quite an impact. I can't think of a contemporary movie that has or could have such an impact.




No comments:

Post a Comment